Four Weeks to Metabolic Rejuvination
Despite our many healthy efforts the toxins that bombard our body daily can take a toll. Whether it is pollutants in the air, chemicals in our food, on our clothing, or even the toxic byproducts of stress produced within our bodies, the toxic load that our bodies must manage on a day-to-day basis is growing increasingly high. The body must regularly set aside some of its limited resources to manage those toxins. The burden of eliminating these toxins comes at the expense of our cellsâ€™ natural function. Often the detoxification process entails â€œborrowingâ€ energy the body needs to carry out daily metabolic activities. This cellular energy - called metabolism – helps fuel our detoxification processes to keep our toxic load to a minimum. As more toxins accumulate in our body, we experience the effects of slowed metabolism within our body. These symptoms often manifest as fatigue, resistance to weight loss, changes in mood, difficulty concentrating, changes in digestion, and even changes in sleep patterns.
Fortunately, there are many naturopathic approaches to help optimize detoxification and lighten the burden toxic load places on our metabolism. We are excited to have a new kit that takes the best of our naturopathic tools and combines them into an easy-to-follow 4 week program! The Metabolic Rejuvenation kit by Douglas Laboratories is a comprehensive 28-day, 3 phase detoxification support program with nutrients specifically chosen to promote healthy elimination, detoxification, and repair within the body and intestinal tract.
Week 1- Prepare the Pathways
The goal of the first week is to open pathways of elimination and prepare the body to properly detoxify. There are several means through which our body eliminates toxins including the kidneys, lungs, skin, lymph, and liver. During the first week, detoxifying herbs, fibers, minerals, probiotics and vitamin C are taken to help optimize the function of our organs of elimination. Fiber from citrus pectin and psyllium seed husks can naturally stimulate the bowel. Bentonite powder has properties that tightly bind and immobilize toxic compounds in the gastrointestinal tract. Vitamin C acts as a free radical scavenger to cells. Magnesium supports healthy frequency of bowel movements.
Weeks 2 & 3 - Detoxification
Now we get to the good stuff! The goal of week 2 and week 3 is to support healthy liver function and optimize its detoxification function. When it comes to detoxification, the liver is our most powerful organ for effectively eliminating toxins. This is because the liver has the incredible ability to convert toxic molecules into non-toxic molecules. The herbs utilized in the protocol for weeks 2 and 3 will focus on optimizing the detoxification pathways in the liver:
- Wasabia japonica: Isothiocyanates (ITCs) found in wasabia are naturally occurring compounds that have the ability to stimulate detoxification pathways in the liver, and are 10-25 times more potent than ITCs found in cruciferous vegetables.
- Choline, betaine, and methionine: All contribute to methyl group metabolism which is essential for normal liver function.
- Broccoli powder: Sulfur groups in broccoli powder have been found to significantly increase the activity of enzymes used in detoxification pathways in the liver. For efficient detoxification, the liver cells require sulfur-containing amino acids such as taurine, methionine and cysteine.
- Dietary sulfur: Contributes to the hepatic sulfur conjugation pathways.
- N-Acetyl-L-cysteine: this biologically active precursor for glutathione synthesis naturally raises intracellular glutathione levels.
- Glutathione: Our most powerful antioxidant, glutathione scavenges toxic free radicals throughout the entire body. Glutathione is involved in DNA synthesis and repair, breakdown of toxins and carcinogens, immune system function, and enzyme activation.
- B vitamins, vitamin C, garlic and alpha-lipoic acid: Serve as antioxidants to scavenge free radicals.
Week 4 - Repair
Now the hard work is over and the body is ready to be restored. The goal of week 4 is to replenish nutrients lost during the detoxification phase and provide specific nutrients to repair and heal the digestive tract. A multivitamin/mineral with an organic fruit and vegetable blend provides adequate amounts of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to nutritionally replenish the body. Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil help reduce inflammation. Glutamine nourishes cells in the digestive tract. Healthy bacteria, such as lactobacillus found in probiotics, are provided to replace health flora that may be been lost due to frequent bowel elimination. A normal intestinal microflora rich in lactobacilli creates conditions that will help prevent â€œbadâ€ bacteria from taking hold in the gut. Supporting your digestive health during week 4 is important as you begin to resume your regular eating plan.
During this three-phase detoxification plan, it is important to keep your diet free of harmful chemicals and preservatives. Your NaturoMedica doctor can help you design the appropriate diet plan that is suited to your health goals and health needs. Additionally, getting plenty of rest, gently exercising on a regular basis, and keeping stress to a minimum will all help you get the most out of your four-week detoxification.
Cheers to a happy and healthy New Year and new you!